Saturday, December 11, 2010

The Greatest Invention Of All Time

(Please click on the title for a reading aloud by the author.)

We have the wheel, the airfoil, penicillin and the binder clip. Uncle Lewi made a case for the movable type printing press, however that seems to be fading into the murk right next to the stylus and clay tablet. From my perspective, the top of the heap is dominated by domestic hot water. Everything else withers in comparison.

This morning at sun rise it was calm and the outside temperature hovered around 12 degrees Fahrenheit. I keep the heat in the bedroom and bathroom turned down as I’ve always liked sleeping in a cold room with lots of blankets on the bed, and disliked paying for big volumes of propane. However, the business of getting in and out of bed or the shower becomes an intense aerobic workout. Morning sunshine pours into the bedroom and bathroom, which helps a lot. I leap out of bed and dash into the bathroom and turn on the water. I stand naked in the sunlight. This is one of the advantages to living in the boonies. When the water gets hot I get in the shower and wow, does that ever feel good!

Oooo… Hot water! Ahh… Steam! I stretch and creak and groan and let it beat on my back. The heat soaks in. Without question, the greatest invention of all time.

Gordon Bunker

No comments:

Post a Comment