Friday, December 17, 2010

A Few Words With Dave

(Please click on the title for a reading aloud by the author.)

“Look at me,” I said in a soft tone. The woman slowly turned her face and our eyes met. I’d overheard her speaking earlier to another member of the group, that she was afraid of heights. From her body language and expression it was plain to see this was true.

Looking into her eyes, I smiled and said, “you’re doing fine.” She smiled back and her shoulders relaxed just a little bit. “Now face the rock, ease into your steps… piece of cake!” I said. She skirted around the overhang and onto the slope where I was standing and hopped down to where others were waiting.

We had made it to the top of the mesa, high over the Chama River and were negotiating our way down the steep rock escarpment. Wind howled and the leading edge of a snow squall was bearing down on us. The hikers, nineteen of us, were of mixed experience and abilities. For some the hike and especially being on steep rock in mixed winter conditions was pushing their envelope. Dave, the hike leader, had identified a few of us who were comfortable with it all and asked us to help those less so with getting down. I was one of those people.

There’s something very special about helping others approach and expand on their limits and it’s wonderful to see the change it brings. Uncertainty and fear turn into confidence and joy. Dave and I were the last two to leave the rock and I spoke to him about this.

He smiled and said, “this group is based on loving and helping one another. Anyone can say yes or no, anyone can stop at any time and it’s ok. Everyone knows this. It’s very powerful and works because of love.”

Gordon Bunker

No comments:

Post a Comment