Monday, October 13, 2014

Day of Rain


Not a breath of air moves, a soaking rain has been falling since dawn. Colors have intensified, the mature greens, rich yellows and reds of fall. The smell of leaf mold permeates the air, reminding me of so many rainy autumn days and times spent in forests I love. I’ve made a cup of tea, and now at my desk sip the hot tangy liquor. Tendrils of steam rise in the chill house.

Water collects on seed pods of white lacy vine just outside the living room door. The vine has had a good time this summer, engulfing the coyote fence around the patio. Droplets form, swell and hang, each a tiny brilliant lens on the world. When surface tension can no longer hold them together they fall. They’ll find their way through the timber deck, to the roof and out the canale, hang briefly on the lip of the metal flashing and fall again. Onward in their march to the sea.

I walk into the village to check in with goings on and have some lunch. My jacket is made for rain, and just about anything else Mother Nature can throw at it. Remarkable, how snug and secure a few thin layers of fabric can be. Rain drops hit puddles, tiny waves spread out in concentric rings, intersect with one another and dissipate. Border plantings of marigolds along the flagstone walkway to the State Law Library are yielding to fall, the blossoms are tired, yet today in the wet, their orange and red vibrate with one last hurrah against the lush deep green of clipped grass lawn.

Heading south on Don Gaspar between Water and West San Francisco Streets I encounter a couple walking north, both are thoroughly engrossed in their respective phones, both of which seem to be chattering at them. One of the phones says with triangulated authority, “In twenty feet, go right.” It scares me, the sense of context, the potential connection to our surroundings and one another the greater we who glue our noses to these things are missing out on. But on the other hand, statistics on world population show only 34% of us have internet access. So I guess there’s hope.

The French Pastry Shop at La Fonda is a beehive of activity. Everyone’s thinking the same thing. We want hot coffee and good things to eat; today in the wet and chill we exhibit no shyness regarding butterfat. I quickly take a small table beside the window, one of my favorite places to sit, and order the aforementioned coffee and a piece of spinach quiche. I pull a pen and sheet of paper out of my pocket. Having already done more than my share of staring at a screen today, the simple blank page before me, ready to absorb my thoughts, is a relief.

The quiche arrives, steaming hot, oh pastry crust, butter and eggs, cream, oh the delicate and savory browned cheese on top. Oh spinach. Each bite is a gift. I write and watch passersby, people seem to be moving quicker than usual. I had no idea so many umbrellas even existed in Santa Fe. Most are basic black (suitable for formal occasions), a few are fashionable colors, moss green, eggplant, periwinkle blue, and yet others are full on design statements, brilliant multicolor stripes, or polka dots.

Rain comes down harder, the sidewalk puddles fill, each surface a riot of ringlet waves. The water finds the breach; there are an infinite number of ways it gets in, and only one way out.

Gordon Bunker

No comments:

Post a Comment