Monday, February 3, 2014

The Motorcycle Officer


When I find myself entangled with people who don’t live up to the commitments they make, well, it’s about the most challenging set of circumstances I can think of. And I’m in the thick of it right now with the people I rent my place from. On the surface it’s all smiles and, “If there’s anything you need, let us know and we’ll take care of it.” In reality, I’ve been living with a mal-functioning furnace for almost a month and can look back on what only amounts to a waste of time and energy trying to get the thing fixed. Adding insult to injury, before the furnace went on the blink, I agreed to an increase in rent.

So this morning while I don’t like it at all, I write a new fatter check. And then I walk into town to drop the check off with the rental management people. A deal’s a deal. Some things, though bitter pills to swallow are worth more than a few bucks. Being able to sleep at night, for example; something I did enjoy before the furnace started behaving like the main boiler in the Bismarck.

From across the Paseo, walking toward the back side of the state capitol building, I spot two Motorcycle Police Officers in the circular driveway getting on their bikes. Being a motorcyclist, I am keenly aware of other riders when I see them, and Motorcycle Police stand out. One of the officers pulls onto Don Gaspar and at the light comes to a stop in the right-hand lane. By this time I’m mid-way crossing the Paseo.

The bike looks like a Honda ST, but with all the gear bolted onto it, in just a glance it’s hard to tell. It is no BMW R bike, that’s for sure. Whether this is a City of Santa Fe or New Mexico State Police Motorcycle Unit I can’t be certain, but everything about this officer and his bike is sharp. The bike is spotless (and I do mean spotless), shining, and in perfect tune. The officer’s uniform is impeccable and the way he handles the bike is a thing of beauty. Based on these observations, and without hesitation, I have a deep respect for him. What he presents by his attention to detail is a person who takes pride in living up to the commitments made to his job, his office and his community.

Police on duty are serious people. You never see an officer in uniform on a street corner yuk it up with a few buds, laughing his head off. At least I never have. Officers on duty, at their friendliest are very reserved, and this is ok. Their job is a serious one, sometimes in a moment’s notice gravely so. But this officer is a motorcyclist - with this form he has to be - and he is a guy, so my bet is, riding this bike is a lot more to him than a job. And I want to show my appreciation.

I have the walk sign, and he yields to my right of way. All in about five seconds, I look at him and smile, he looks at me with a serious face; still smiling I then give him a thumbs-up, and he smiles back. Ever. So. Slightly. And that’s huge. The connection does my heart more good than I can say.

Sincere thanks to the unknown Motorcycle Officer.

Gordon Bunker


ps. As I put the finishing touches on this essay, my phone rings and it’s the furnace repairman. He tells me one of his crew will be here tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice essay Gordon. Good observations all around. Does the officer make up for the furnace? A little?

    ReplyDelete