Monday, February 24, 2014

Sugar Nymphs


When I mentioned the route I’d be riding on das motorrad and that it would include Peñasco, Sallie said, “Sugar Nymphs, if you haven’t been there, you must stop for lunch!”

And I wondered, “Sugar Nymphs what?... In Peñasco?... in my book, sweets have to be exceptional or not at all…”

A body in motion tends to stay in motion, and when I’m in, or on, a vehicle I fall into this tendency, or trap. Especially when I’m on the bike, the journey is about the riding. To a fault, I get my teeth on the bit and just ride, ride, ride, the cost often being I blast right on by little places well worth exploring.

Coming into Peñasco from Vadito, there it is, Sugar Nymphs Bistro, right next to the old theatre. The place looks cheery and there are cars in the parking lot - always a good sign. It’s lunchtime and I slow and peer at the place, survey the scene, and almost, almost, pull in. But the momentum beast had me in its grips. I keep rolling. And I think, “Gordon! For Pete’s sakes, turn around and go in!” Whenever Sallie recommends a place to eat or a book to read, it’s always spot on. So I grapple with the beast, triumph over it and turn around.

Sugar Nymphs Bistro is a gem, it is a rare gem. From the murals painted on the outside walls to the atmosphere of the cozy dining room, it’s clear this little eatery is an expression of what co-owners Kai Harper and Ki Holste love to do. And they back it up with sophisticated talents developed over years cheffing and restaurateuring in the Bay Area.

Being Sunday, the menu is for brunch. I already had eggs for breakfast so I read my way down the sheet past egg and pancake offerings, to find a grilled pork loin sandwich. This, with a salad instead of fries will fit the bill. I also order coffee. The waitress is prompt and courteous and friendly.

When the coffee arrives so does a scone. Hmm… I didn’t order one, but I’m not going to argue. Turns out the scone is complimentary at brunch. It’s homemade and so is the mixed berry compote in the accompanying little cup. Like the scone, the compote is warm. Not hot, but warm, just right to bring out the bouquet of the fruit. The scone is flaky and rich and with a dab of the compote and a sip of coffee, I am in heaven. At least I think I am, until my sandwich arrives. Then I know it.

The bun, naturally, is homemade. The crust is resplendent under a light egg glaze, and makes itself known without me feeling the need to see a Periodontist; the fine textured bread within has just enough substance to stand up to the fillings. And the slices of pork loin, which actually taste like pork and not some ubiquitous other white meat, melt in my mouth. How do they do this? This is in league with a perfectly grilled filet mignon. Earthy and mouthwatering. The sandwich features a swipe of spiced mayonnaise, a few baby greens and slices of tomato. Oh, the tomato. I’m talking just picked from your garden, tomato. Its sweet tang sings a beautiful harmony with the pork. The small mixed greens salad on the side provides my palate with a resting place from the sandwich.

When walking in, I made note of the carrot cake hovering on one end of the lunch counter. Beautifully done. The waitress sees I’ve finished the sandwich and asks if I’d like dessert. Well, I do love carrot cake but I am… just right. Not one thin wafer… and I decline.

Thank goodness for the times and places like Sugar Nymphs Bistro, where inspiration prevails. For these few moments dining, I have been elevated into a world of care and effort and love and fineness. Do I have to get on the motorcycle and go away? Might they adopt me? And feed me? Forever?

Go to Peñasco; it is not out of the way. The High Road to Taos winds into the foothills of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, through little Northern New Mexico towns and beautiful landscape. It’s one of the great drives, or rides, in the country, and it happens to be the way to Sugar Nymphs Bistro.

Gordon Bunker

575-587-0311

No comments:

Post a Comment