Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Tools


(Please click on the title for a reading aloud by the author.)

It’s nice to at least once in a while have a tangible positive result.

The Roll-on/Roll-off was pulled to the side of the road with it’s hazard flashers going and the driver standing outside it. The way he waved suggested he might need help so I stopped and inquired.

“Yeah, could I use your phone?” He shouted. The wind had picked up, thick grey clouds rolled by and it was about to rain. I parked my car got out and handed him my phone. He was wearing heavy boots, jeans, a faded plaid flannel shirt, mirrored wrap around sun glasses and a beanie.

“This wind… I stopped to bungee the cover and locked myself out… my keys, my phone are in the cab!” Oddly enough my phone worked and he gave his dispatcher the scoop. “Thanks,” he said as he handed me my phone, “they’re sending someone… from Pojoaque.” He shook his head. Pojoaque is at least fifty miles away. “If I only had some tools I know I could get into the truck, the lock, pretty much anything will open it.”

The conditions weren’t much for hanging out so I wished him luck and got back into my car. “Hey, wait a minute,” I thought. I grabbed the multi-tool I almost always carry with me and headed back to the truck. “I got this thing,” I said, opening the tool. It has a bunch of screwdrivers and other little goodies folded into it. The driver looked it over and selected a small flat blade.

We were getting pelted with the first fat drops of rain. “I’ve driven this old truck for years. I know this will do it.” The big diesel clattered under the hood, waiting patiently. He slowly turned the lock cylinder with the blade and pulled the handle. The door opened.

All Right!” I said.

“Man, I appreciate it.” We shook hands.

As I jogged back to my car I felt good to have been able to help this guy, and then thought, “… or maybe I just helped him steal it!” Oh well, either way it felt good to help him.

Gordon Bunker

No comments:

Post a Comment