Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Eye Candy


Every once in a while I stop by the local BMW Motorrad dealership to check in with friends Andy and Ben and see what’s going on in the shop. Andy is the service manager and Ben is the master motorrad tech. A couple of years ago I worked with these guys. Each of us a motorhead in his own way and to the core, we made a good crew.

It was a rainy day this past spring when I walked in the shop and into a sea of BMW’s awaiting service. Ben and his assistant were hustling, riding season was around the corner. One bike stood out, it was Eye Candy. The S1000RR was propped up on a work stand looking like it had a light source inside it. Most but not all of the body work was in place. This was Andy’s recent acquisition and project and it was news to me. It stopped me in my tracks. I stood and looked. And looked and looked. Andy stepped out of his office. “What do you think?” he asked, with a grin bursting with mischievousness.

“Um, er…” I smiled and shook my head, all but speechless. “It’s… amazing.”

The winter 2011 issue of BMW Motorcycle Magazine (bmwmcmag.com) is hot off the press and features an article and photographs by yours truly about this one of a kind S1000RR. I hope you’ll pick up a copy for the whole story.

Gordon Bunker

No comments:

Post a Comment