Friday, June 18, 2010

Walking With Confidence

One of my favorite places to hang out in Santa Fe is Counter Culture. Jason Aufrichtig and crew have created a great vibe, and the blueberry muffins are the best this side of my sister’s. Considering she has the home field advantage, literally (a blueberry farm in the hills of New Hampshire), that’s saying something.

So I live and work out in the sticks and every once in a while I have to get out of here… get on the bike and go into town. Just go. This morning I ended up at Counter Culture. Sitting at my table, enjoying a cup of joe and yep, you guessed it, I couldn’t help but notice a woman walk by. She had poise. A lot of it. Wow. She was thin and probably in her sixties. She wore a cute sun hat and flowing, sheer summer dress in a muted floral print. In a word, she was stunning. The way she walked, her demeanor, her step, was a picture confidence. And if my guess is even close, she had cancer.

Whatever may be going on in this woman’s life, however well she is coping I do not know. But I do know to watch her walk across the room gave me inspiration. To watch her walk across the room made me happy. Merely her existence was a gift. I am so glad to have seen her, and hope I might do this for someone some day.

Gordon Bunker

No comments:

Post a Comment